Our team is committed to working with the community to help create sustainable businesses and a skilled workforce that reflects the diversity of the region’s population. We believe a well-trained, diverse workforce and sustainable businesses enhance the economic and social vitality. It is our goal to help provide mentoring, training and job opportunities to not only increase the diversity of the construction industry but improve business practices and skills resulting in the long-term growth of our industry.
We have an on-staff Diversity Coordinator and have committed to a Culture of CARE through the AGC of America.
Our team is passionate about going BEYOND the Build, which includes a commitment to the communities in which we build. We believe in engaging and supporting these communities to make the most positive impact on residents’ lives and their future.
- Construction internships and scholarships for local students
- Educational programming regarding construction careers for K-12 students
- Community inclusion through technology with public webcams and website project updates
- Community volunteer days to assist with local initiatives
S. M. Wilson’s internal diversity coordinator, Joyce Morgan, oversees efforts to ensure participation goals are met. Joyce has worked on several St. Louis City projects, including IKEA St. Louis, Shriners Hospitals for Children-St. Louis, O’Fallon Park Recreation Complex and The Orion mixed-use retail and residential development.
S. M. Wilson’s Achievements:
- City Foundry STL – 18% Apprenticeship Workforce (3% above 15% goal), 22% Minority Workforce (to date)
- IKEA St. Louis – 14% Apprenticeship Workforce, 20% Minority Workforce, 5% Women Workforce, 9% City Residents Workforce
- O’Fallon Park – 14% Apprenticeship Workforce, 20% Minority Workforce, 5% Women Workforce, 9% City Residents Workforce
- Campus Renewal – 9.9% Apprenticeship Workforce, 18.8% Minority Workforce, 5% Women Workforce
- 2015 MOKAN CCAC Private Sector Executives of the Year Awardee – Joyce Morgan
- 2013 St. Louis Council of Construction Consumers honored Joyce as a Diversity Champion
- 2011 – Construction Careers Center Outstanding Service Award – AGC St. Louis – Scott Wilson
- 2009 – Diversity Champion Award by the St. Louis Council of Construction Consumers – Scott Wilson
- 2006-07 – Pioneer of Excellence Award from the Construction Careers Center – Scott Wilson